- This event has passed.
Australia wide rallies marking the 6th anniversary of Manus & Nauru – July 19th (events running 18th and 20th too)
July 18 - July 20
RAR was PROUD of it’s members across the country running countless events to recognise the 6th Anniversary of the opening of Manus & Nauru detention centres.
Below are some of the photos and details of the amazing events that took place.
Above: Photo of representatives from Wangaratta, Benalla, Beechworth and Wodonga RAR branches with Helen Haines Member for Indi.
Below: Photos from around Australia
Below: Photo of two of our Dunkeld members (Sally Jackson left, and Judy Warne right), outside Dan Tehan’s office, about to present our petition and freedom birds for Dan to take to parliament.
Thursday 18 July
- Newcastle 5 – 6pm, King St, opp Trades Hall Newcastle Facebook event here
- Brisbane 6.30pm – 8pm Movie Journey Beyond Fear event details here
Friday 19 July
- Albany 10:00 am – readings, a march up the main street, a reading of the names of the men who have died in offshore detention and presentation of a document to our local member’s office.
- Nowra 10:00 am – 12:00 pm cnr Berry And Junction Streets.
- Hobart 12.30 pm The famous Tassie Nannas plan to walk from Hobart’s Elizabeth Street Mall (their regular knotting spot) with posters, banners and knitted chains to the office of Senator Jonathan Duniam, taking a letter to deliver to him. Other groups (eg Amnesty) are welcome to join us.
- Hobart 4:30-6p.m. on the corner of Murray and Macquarie St.
- Bendigo 5:00 pm Friday, 19 July event here. Rosalind Park (corner Pall Mall & View St). Please dress warm and rug up. Bring a candle. In the event of rain we will meet in St Paul’s Cathedral Myers Street
- Cairns 6:00 pm – Esplanade opposite Aplin St. FB event here
- Mansfield – 4:30 pm Median Strip, wear black, bring messages. For further information, contact:
- Wangaratta 4:00 – 5:00 pm Outside the office of Dr Helen Haines MP at the roundabout – 17 Murphy St. Wangaratta
- Moss Vale 12:00 – 1:30 pm Leighton Gardens. Event here
- Ballina 7:00 – 8:00 pm St Mary’s Anglican Church, 38-42 Norton St – Vigil
- Sunshine Coast – Candlelight Vigil for Refugees from 4:30 pm, St Mark’s Anglican Church, Main St, Buderim. Event here
- Warrnambool 12:00 pm midday. Join Love Makes A Way for a short liturgy seeking a safe settlement solution for those individuals still trapped on Manus Island & Nauru. Outside Dan Tehan’s Warrnambool office.
- Maleny 5:50 – 6:30 pm Candlelight Vigil in Tesch Park, Maleny. BYO Candle.
- Dunkeld 12:00 noon – Forecourt of the Hamilton Performing Arts Centre.
- Sydney 2:00pm Sydney Town Hall event here
- Melbourne 2:00pm State Library event here
- Brisbane 2:00pm Queens Park event here
- Perth 10:30am forest place event here
- Adelaide 2:00pm Parliament event here
- Canberra 1:00pm, cnr Northbourne Ave & London Cct, Civic. Canberra FB event here
- Hawkesbury 11:00am Richmond Park
- Alice Springs 11:00am till 1:00pm, forecourt of the Uniting Church, Todd Mall, Alice Springs
- Darwin, 2pm – Parliament House (Facebook event coming)
- Hobart, 2pm – Parliament Gardens (Facebook event coming).
- Darwin 2:00 pm – NT Parliament House REGISTER FOR THE PROTEST HERE
Audio Message from Manus-based refugee Shamindan Kanapadhi re #6YearsTooLOng is available on ARAN website – https://aran.net.au/campaigns/