- This event has passed.
Box Hill (Vic): Citizenship & Family Reunion Information Sessions
28 May 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
CITIZENSHIP AND FAMILY REUNION INFORMATION SESSIONS
The Federal Government has introduced changes to citizenship and family reunion which will make it harder for migrants to become citizens and reunite with their families in Australia.
To find out more about these changes, and what can be done to respond – you are invited to register to attend the National Information Roadshow Sessions being held by legal and policy experts across Australia.
Please register for sessions in your State: – https://colourcode.org.au/roadshow
VIC – 6:00pm-8:00pm, Monday 28 May 2018
Upton Room –Box Hill RSL, 26-28 Nelson Rd, Box Hill
NSW – 6:00pm-8:00pm, Wednesday 30 May 2018
Biddegal Function Room – Club Central, 2 Crofts Avenue, Hurstville
SA – 6:00pm-8:00pm, Tuesday 5 June 2018
The Welcome Centre, 100 Drayton St, Bowden
What are the proposed changes?
As you may be aware, the Federal Government has proposed new requirements to citizenship and family reunion eligibility including:
- the introduction of the first English language test as a prerequisite for citizenship since the White Australia Policy;
- the extension of permanent residency waiting periods to 4 years prior to citizenship eligibility;
- ‘Integration’ and ‘Australian Values’ requirements for citizenship that have not yet been specified;
- the lifting of the ‘Assurance of Support’ income threshold for sponsoring a parent or relative from $45,185 to $86,606 for an individual; and
- the introduction of steep fees of up to $20,000 for the promised ‘temporary parent visa’.
These changes will have significant impact on migrant and multicultural communities as well as social cohesion and equity in broader Australian society.
- The National Information Roadshow will feature policy and legal experts explaining the impact of the citizenship and family reunion proposed changes and providing information and resources on how communities and community organisations can respond.
- Community members will also be able to raise any questions or concerns with experts at the Roadshow.
- Events will be held in Victoria, NSW and South Australia. Requests can be made for other locations.
- Events are free and open to all in migrant and multicultural communities and organisations, but due to limited seating, please RSVP at https://colourcode.org.au/roadshow