- This event has passed.
Melbourne: How Can We Get Labor To Oppose Offshore Detention?
24 June 2015 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
A public forum for trade unionists
- Ged Kearney – – ACTU president
- Aran Mylvaganam – Tamil refugee and FSU organiser
- Pamela Curr – Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
- Damien Kingsbury – Professor of International Politics, Deakin University. President ALP Batman, FEA
Tony Abbott has made ‘stopping the boats’ front and centre of national politics. Tragically the ALP position of supporting offshore detention gives him a free kick. A kick that is destroying refugee lives.
On Manus Island Reza Barati was murdered and over 70 brutally injured by those responsible for their safety. Detention on Nauru has led to rape, and sexual abuse of children. Offshore processing will be a central debate at this years ALP national conference July 24-26.
- Come to a forum specifically aimed at arming union members with arguments necessary to take on the lies about refugees. The forum will discuss what’s wrong with offshore processing, what are humane alternatives and how wecan win them.
Forum organised by Labor for Refugees, The Refugee Action Collective and the Refugee Advocacy Network
Call Lucy 0404 728 104 or Ilia 0425 750 044 for more info