Status Resolution Support Service (SRSS)
Message from RAR President –
As SRSS cuts start to bite we will have more requests for assistance, so if you have accommodation, please let me know.
If any members want to assist me to organise requests can you let me know please.
SRSS leaflet –
You can print it out double sided and there is room at the bottom for the name, address and phone number of your local member. Thank you Mike from Bellingen and Nambucca District RAR.
- Cuts to SRSS are already happening
- SRSS was paid to people while they wait for their asylum applications to be processed.
- Processing of asylum applications has blown out to 2020
- SRSS was only 85% of Newstart
• 13.299 people could be affected
• This includes 4,059 children (age 0- 17 years).
- Help will be needed for food, housing, social inclusion and jobs.
What you can do …
- Write or phone Malcolm Turnbull to stop these changes being rolled out
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull –
Phone: Wentworth Office – (02) 9327 3988 or Canberra Office – (02) 6277 7700
Email: Use the this form to email the Prime Minister.
Letters – Prime Minister, Parliament House, CANBERRA ACT 2600 or PO Box 545, Edgecliff, NSW, 2027
- RCOA Petition – Aim – 5,000 signatures in 3 months
- Contact your local member and express your concern.
- Ensure your local community is informed
- Contact if you are willing to help with food, housing, jobs, funding, so we can direct you to support the appropriate services
- Volunteer to support RAR National to co-ordinate these services if required
- 14/8/18 – Asylum seeker support payment cuts anger Whittlesea council The council has joined a campaign by councils from across the state, calling for the SRSS funding to continue.
- 31/7/18 – Victorian councillors condemn federal cuts to asylum seeker payments
Mayors and councillors from 17 Victorian councils have called on the federal government to reverse its cuts to support payments for asylum seekers here on bridging visas.
- 22/6/18 – Port Phillip Council calls for reversal of asylum seeker income support cuts
- 19/5/18 – Response from St Vincent de Paul Society CEO
More SRSS information –
- Changes to SRSS – 4 May 2018
- RCOA’s Briefing Note 24 April 2018: Drastic Reductions to Income Support for People Seeking Asylum
- RCOA’s Briefing Note 17 April 2018: Outline to SRSS changes
- Cuts to SRSS program – RCOA’s petition calls on Malcolm Turnbull to #ChangeThePolicy of cruelty and save these life-saving supports for people seeking asylum.
- RCOA – https://www.refugeecouncil.
- RCOA video explainer
- Impact of cuts to SRSS – 3 May 2018
- TSUNAMI of Homelessness and Poverty set to hit on JUNE 4 – by | May 4, 2018
- A letter from Kamran Right now Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull is overseeing one of the largest cuts to support for people seeking asylum that this country has ever seen. The Status Resolution Support Service (SRSS) provides people like me, with basic support to help us build our lives in the Australia. Read Kamran’s letter here
- BMRSG Helps Saving these men from life on the streets. Since September 2017 Blue Mountains Refugee Support Group has been financially supporting nine young men originally evacuated to Australia from Manus Island and Nauru with severe medical and psychological conditions. Already traumatised by their experiences and still new to Australian life, they were cut off from government payments without a warning date and given 3 weeks to get out Read more
- In response to the changes to SRSS, in April the Buddies Refugee Support Group on the Sunshine Coast (Qld) has pledged to give $750 a month for at least 6 months towards accommodation and food costs for affected families in Brisbane.The funds are going to three organisations; the Asylum Circle and MDA (providing suitable accommodation for families) and the Romero Centre (providing food and grocery vouchers). You can help by signing petitions, supporting Buddies ongoing Food Drive, volunteering to help with Buddies fundraisers or running your own fundraiser.