- Australian Refugee Action Network – ARAN News page
- Kaldor Centre for International Refugee Law – Weekly News Roundup
- Refugee Council of Australia – Bulletins
- Asylum Insight
- Refugees Deeply
- UNHCR – The Refugee Brief
- Buddies Refugee Support Group – Bulletins
- Circles of Silence Solidarity Action – Flyer and Dates
Online Petition re SRSS Cuts – Back Your Neighbour campaign
Stop cruel cuts to support for asylum seekers living in the community – petition:
You can also email your MP here http://backyourneighbour.com.au/takeaction/
The Back Your Neighbour campaign is run by the Local Government Mayoral Taskforce Supporting People Seeking Asylum, a group of Australian Councils who are speaking out against Federal Government cuts to the Status Resolution Support Services (SRSS) program leaving thousands of asylum seeker families living in Australia destitute and homeless. For more information about the Taskforce see >> http://www.greaterdandenong.com/document/32480/local-government-mayoral-taskforce-supporting-people-seeking-asylum
RAR T-Shirts are available in Black or Orange. For details and to order, email:
Boat People T-shirts also available from
Bellingen and Nambucca District RAR.
For details and to order, email:
Films and DVDs
- NOW SHOWING The Staging Post – Inspirational new film
- The film follows two Afghan Hazara refugees, Muzafar and Khadim Muzafar was a presenter at 2018 National RAR Conference
- More information and screening times here
- NOW SHOWING Journey Beyond Fear – Inspirational new film
- Filmed over 7 years, this is a story of love as much as a tale of persecution.
- More information and screening times here
- A Beginning List of Fourteen DVDs/Films for those interested in refugee issues
- Refugee Council of Australia’s List of Films
- Amnesty International – 7 free short films about refugees recommended by human rights educators
- Videos from the UNHCR youtube website
- The Burnside Conversations is an extension of the conversations Julian Burnside had with the global human rights leaders featured in Border Politics. Phil Glendenning is also President of the Refugee Council of Australia and has made frequent, dangerous journeys to 22 countries to monitor the safety of asylum seekers rejected by Australia.
- The Burnside Conversations digital series – features Julian Burnside in conversation with key Australian and global thinkers on the matter of asylum and current threats to human rights, expanding on views expressed in the Rymer Childs feature length documentary BORDER POLITICS.
- Border Politics – New Film About a “Dark Patch in Australian History”
- See trailer, human rights barrister Julian Burnside as he traverses the globe examining the harsh treatment meted out to refugees by most Western democracies.
- This contemporary story is about the threat to human rights, the loss of democratic values and our increasingly heartless treatment of ‘the other’.
- Island of the Hungry Ghosts
- Christmas Island’s famous migrating crabs, lost souls caught in limbo and political detainees intersect in lyrical, highly cinematic fashion in the Tribeca Film Festival Best Documentary award winner.
- The tiny Indian Ocean Territory of Christmas Island has been a centre for migrating populations for millennia – first, the distinctive Christmas Island red crabs; then phosphate miners from Malaya in the 19th century; and most recently, people seeking asylum in Australia. It is here, at the nexus of the three, that first-time feature documentarian Gabrielle Brady locates her extraordinary essay, an expansion of her award-winning 2017 short The Island. – http://www.christmasislandfilm.com/
- Here is a little 20 minute taster from The Guardian UK released last year. – https://www.theguardian.com/
world/ng-interactive/2017/apr/ 13/crossing-boundaries-crabs- asylum-seekers-and-therapy-on- christmas-island-video
- Best Documentary Tribeca Film Festival 2018.
- Prix Buyens-Chagoll Visions du Reel, Switzerland 2018
- Best Documentary Official Competition at Valletta Film Festival 2018
- Special Jury Mention Edinburgh Film Festival 2018
- RCOA List of Books on Refugees
- RCOA List of Books about Refugee Journeys
- Booktopia’s List of Books – Refugees & Political Asylum
- More Books – Refugees tell their Story in Non-Fiction, Fiction and Poetry
- Refuge Lost: Asylum Law in an Interdependent World, Cambridge University Press, 2018
- No Friend But the Mountains by Kurdish journalist of Behrouz Boochani – available in bookstores and online.
- When Elephants Fight, Majok Tulba, Penguin
- Walking Free by Munjed al Muderis – Munjed al Muderis at TEDxSydney
- Dignity in a teacup: stories of courage & sacrifice from Christmas Island: written by Bendigo RAR President Chris Cummins. Chris was a torture and trauma counselor on Christmas Island.
- The Power of Good People: Para Paheer with Alison Corke (Alison is a member of Apollo Bay RAR)
- A Grain of Hope a picture book for older readers about refugees and detention centres. This beautifully illustrated book tells a dual story, on facing pages, of a dog and a refugee girl, whose lives mirror each other…until the end. Facts about refugees are provided at the end to assist in discussion. 100% of profits will be donated to Rural Australians for Refugees.
- ASRC 2017 Right Track Fact Sheet
- UNHCR Videos on YouTube
- TED Talks Playlist (10 talks): Refugees welcome
Postcards and Posters
Resources on this page are for your use. Please feel free to copy, print or share.
Printable postcards from the Aireys Inlet RAR Letter Writing Team
- The postcards were printed in A4 – colour photo on one side and black and white letter on the back (I get mine done at Officeworks and they do them well).
- The flyers are printed on both sides of the paper (people like this approach).
- RAR19-053 Postcard image – Inhumane and humiliating detention in Australia – 10 March
- RAR19-053 Postcard letter – Inhumane and humiliating detention in Australia – 10 March
- RAR19-053 Market Flyer- Inhumane and humiliating detention in Australia – 10 March
Printable Postcards from the ARAN – Australian Refugee Action Network
Print the dove on light cardboard – cut out and hang on xmas trees
Designed by RAR Southern Highlands
Designed by RAR Daysleford
Home Affairs Legislation Amendment (Miscellaneous Measures) Bill 2018
The best way to keep up to date on news is to follow us on Facebook
RAR Network – Group Newsletters
- Bellingen and Nambucca District RAR Newsletters
- Bendigo RAR Newsletters
- Blue Mountains Refugee Support Group Newsletters
- CVRSN – Central Victorian Refugee Support Network Newsletters
- DASSAN News
- Mornington Peninsular Human Rights Group Newsletters
- Queanbeyan RAR News
- Queenscliff RAR Newsletters
- Southern Highlands RAR Newsletters