Another new RAR group
This time in Healesville
You can contact the Prime Minister online via the official form. Fill in your contact information then copy and paste your letter into the appropriate box.
See links below:
Prime Minister – https://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm
Minister of Immigration and Border Protection –
Leader of the Opposition Bill Shorten –
The newly appointed Shadow Minister of Immigration & Border Protection Shayne Neumann –
Wow ! What a Weekend we had !!!
Missed the Conference or just want more?
Watch the video clips from the Conference
and read …
RAR Conference Newsletters
- Conference News 9 September 2016
- Conference News 18 August 2016
- Conference News 5 August 2016
- Conference Report September 2016
- Hani’s poems speak of fear, danger and hope
- Changing the language about refugees
- Bendigo to host national refugee conference
- Seeking a life without fear
Missed the Conference? Watch this space for news and more photos … when I catch my breath.
Missed the beautiful Hani at the Conference Dinner?
Watch her here as she recites her poem, I Will Rise.
And look for more of Hani’s poetry on YouTube
On Saturday, 3rd September 2016, John Trainer, Bendigo Town Crier for a day, welcomed one and all to our Launch event as part of our National RAR Conference.
Asher Hirsch RCOA) and Jan Govett (RAR) presented the Welcome Scroll for signing.
Mayor Fyffe of the Greater City of Bendigo and Mayor Henderson of Mt Alexander Shire are the first Local Government representatives to sign the Welcome Scroll
Come on the journey around our nation with the Welcome Scroll:
a joint initiative of Rural Australians for Refugees and Refugee Council of Australia
Welcome to new groups joining the RAR Network
The Monaro Refugee Support Group has morphed into Monaro Community Growth Group
Bendigo Launches Young People for Refugees
New Life Cycle – Launch Video
Check out the new charity raising awareness of inhumane treatment of asylum seekers in off shore detention through a round Australia off road cycling journey .
www.newlifecycle.org.au is a journey on a mountain bike with a trail dog around Australia to raise awareness about ongoing asylum seeker and refugee issues.
Organised by Bellingen and Nambucca District RAR.
Please return completed copies to Mike (Bellingen RAR)
Newsletters from Groups
Welcome to the RAR Network
Rural Australians for Refugees Yass
CHASING ASYLUM exposes the real impact of Australia’s offshore detention policies and explores how ‘The Lucky Country’ became a country where leaders choose detention over compassion and governments deprive the desperate of their basic human rights.
The film features never before seen footage from inside Australia’s offshore detention camps, revealing the personal impact of sending those in search of a safe home to languish in limbo.
CHASING ASYLUM explores the mental, physical and fiscal consequences of Australia’s decision to lock away families in unsanitary conditions hidden from media scrutiny, destroying their lives under the pretext of saving them. http://www.chasingasylum.com.au/
PETITIONS … … … When is a petition not a petition?
Message from Julian Burnside:Rural Australians for Refugees have been calling for a fair go for refugees ever since the infamous Tampa event, when the Pacific Solution was created and 438 asylum seekers rescued by the Norwegian cargo ship Tampa were forcibly diverted to Nauru.Since then, these local groups have persisted in their work; visiting refugees, raising money for their food, clothing and shelter and holding public meetings that draw attention to more compassionate policy options.To my observation, RAR has been the most impressive and dedicated group supporting refugees. What they have done is little short of inspirational.RAR has my greatest admiration and my full support.========================================================================Please promote this petition through your networks,The Secrecy Provisions of the Border Force Act can be repealed with support!Its too important to allow the legislation to go unchallenged.
National Settlement Standards – Settlement Council of Australia – June 2015
===========================================================================CHANGES TO ASYLUM SEEKER VISASOn October 2015 the Department launched a new website for IMAs.
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection says its IMA website is designed to enable IMAs and other users to navigate intuitively to information that is relevant to different stages of the IMA status resolution journey, including:
For up to date always check information on the Immigration and Border Force Website=========================================================================
Dear RAR groups and friends
Would you like to help person to person?
There are ways to do this even if you are away from asylum seeker suburbs, especially if you are in Rural and Regional areas.
- Join Home Among the Gum Trees, Rural Australians for Refugees holiday program as a host or supporter.
- Be on the look-out for jobs for asylum seekers in your area. Please forward any employer leads or contacts to Given the Chance for Asylum Seekers I Workforce Solutions that Matter I Brotherhood of St Laurence I Centre for Work and Learning, 95 Brunswick Street Fitzroy Victoria 3065 I T (03) 9288 9955 I M 0400 153 148 IWvanRiet@bsl.org.au I Available Mon-Fri I www.bsl.org.au
Either of these actions is life changing for Asylum Seekers… and life changing for you!
Elaine Smith – mob 0427596977
THE PLAN – TO END BUSINESS IN ABUSE
NO (LOCAL COUNCIL) BUSINESS IN ABUSE
No Business In Abuse is a movement of people who want corporations to know they face a choice: engage in Australia’s abusive detention regime or maintain a profitable business model.
Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield Services) and Wilson Security are the two corporations that provide services central to the detention camps on Manus Island and Nauru. Together they’re paid billions by the government – but they rely on other income streams as well, including contracts with local councils all around Australia.
Without contracts like these, their business model would fall apart – and that’s where you come in.
By organising and applying strategic local pressure, we can get our councils to say they won’t further contract with Broadspectrum and Wilson while they’re involved in detention. This way, their choice to be complicit in human rights abuses has immediate consequences for the rest of their business.
Are you in? Search for your nearest petition here
Let’s help Shen end business in abuse. Click here to read more: www.nobusinessinabuse.org
Bumper Stickers available from Bellingen and Nambucca RAR
50 cents each plus postage
New T shirts available – details at http://bellorar.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/where-to-get-t-shirts.html
These bumper stickers are also available. Email Peter –
Looking for information or resources about Refugee or Asylum Seeker issues?
From ChilOut – New Asylum Seeker Laws – Your Questions Answered
Australian Border Force Act explained
Asylum Policy in Australia Today
Asylum Insight have published a comprehensive update of background information on asylum policy in Australia. This content is updated annually to reflect recent changes in how Australia receives asylum seekers. The background information is presented in four main sections:
- Evolution of asylum policy in Australia
- Asylum policy in Australia today
- Protection obligations under Australian law
- Seeking asylum in Australia – Policy in practice
Probject aimed at reframing the narrative around asylum seekers and refugee
Don’t forget to check out the RAR Events Page
To have your event included on our calendar just email details to
A comprehensive report on the Economic and Social Impact of the Karen resettlement in Nhill
Regional Refugee Action Networks in Victoria
- CVRSN – Central Victorian Refugee Support Network
- Email for further information – RAR Admin at
- CRAG – Combined Refugee Action Group – Geelong, Victoria
- Email –
- Facebook – CRAG
- SCRAR – Surf Coast Rural Australians for Refugee
Refugee & Asylum Seekers Service and Support Mapping- May 2014 Mainstream and specialist support services available across the G21 (Geelong) region
We invite you to consider how you might work with Rural Australians for Refugees
- Join one of the Refugee and Asylum Seeker support groups. There are many RAR groups, community groups, church groups working to improve the lives of Asylum Seekers and Refugees
- Engage in Fundraising, Awareness- raising, and/or Advocacy
- If there is no group near you, consider starting one
- Visit Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Detention Centres
- Letter Writing – to Politicians – MPs Addresses Senators Addresses
- Letter Writing – the Refugee Council of Australia has an initiative called Write to Be Heard.
- Visit our Facebook Page – Rural Australians for Refugees
- Want to have your Asylum Seeker or Refugee Support group listed on our website?
- Send details to RAR Admin –
RAR group pages on this website are listed by States.
RAR Group Websites
- National Website – Rural Australians for Refugees
- Bellingen and Nambucca District
- Great Lakes
- Montmorency Asylum Seekers Support Group
Visit Rural Australians for Refugees Facebook pages – keep up-to-date with issues and events
For details of RAR Groups, please email RAR Admin at
Those who wander are not lost : Tracking displaced people around the world
An excellent interactive graphic – Statistics based on 2014 figures supplied by UNHCR